Friday, October 31, 2008

Day one of Jordan

These seats are in all of the Catholic churches. Don't we look so wise in them though?!
The mosaic in Madaba




Another bus ride, and another fabulous day in the life of a JC student. We loaded up on the buses early EARLY in the morning and headed on over to Jordan. After another miticulous dance through the border, we made our first stop at Mount Nebo. I guess this is the mountain Moses was trasfigured from. To tell you the truth, it was pretty boring. We then stopped at a church in Madba where a mosaic was discovered showing a map depicting the locations of holy Christian locations in the Holy Land. Next stop- lunch! They had salsa at all of the resturants we went ot in Jordan. No chips, but pitas got the job done. We were supposed to be very careful with what we ate and drank in Jordan, but I was willing to get the runs for a bite of salsa! (good news...I wasn't the least bit sick) After lunch it was then time to take a 4 hour bus ride down to Petra. The ride was long, but I slept for most of it. We are all becoming really good at bus travel here. When we arrived in Petra, it was dinner time. Man, I thought my life revolved around food before I got here, I was wrong! I always eat whether I am hungry or not becasue you just don't know what the next meal is going to turn out to be like. Once we finished dinner, most of us left the hotel to check out the the shops near the hotel. We found one called the "Rural Woman Bazaar." Why rural? We checked it out, gave the shop owners a good scare to have well over 20 young Americans flooding the store. When I got to the end of the road, I saw a few of my girl friends giggling together and I just had to be in on what was so funny. They took me over to a shop where one of the most handsome men I have ever seen was working. My friend Sarah Jane had him tie every stinkin scarf in his store around her head while we all smiled and batted our eye lashes at him. After we ran out of ways to flirt with him we met up with some guys to take some pictures. We were all laughing and taking a million pictures by a humongous picture of the king (which we later found out is illegal-oops!) when Saad (the shop keeper) ran down the street to take pictures with us. He hopped in line with the boys and all of us girls started snapping pictures as fast as the shutter would go. With all the laughing and excitement Saad was loving the attention. The boys tryed to explain what "putting out the vibe" meant and accidentally used the word sexy. Wrong word! Saad started ripping off his jacket and going abercrombie on us! We all yelled "stop stop stop!" and died laughing. We quit the photo shoot and the boys started walking back towards us. Saad latched onto David and started stroking his face and telling him how handsome he was. I am SO sure all the good looking men are GAY! What a waste. I quickly jumped in and grabbed David's arm and said, "Hey! He's mine!" We laughed the whole way down the street to Movenpick where we grabbed some delicious icecream and laughed for another good 30 minutes. Our teachers are always warning us girls about how careful we need to be about not getting groped, so the fact that only only person to come even close to being groped was big burly David, by the best looking Jordanian man in Petra. After laughing so hard my head wanted to pop, I decided it was time for bed to get ready for Petra the next day.

No comments: