Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mosque




The Citadel


The last day in Cairo. I really was not excited about the end of Egypt coming soon. As gross and grimey as it was, I was loving every minute of it. On this day , we went to visit several Muslim mosques. The first one we went to was the Citadel. It was beautiful on the outside and inside. There were carpets lining every inch of the inside, and we had to take off our shoes when we entered and hold them as we sat in a circle and listened to our tour guide tell us all sorts of facts I can't even remember now. After the Citadel, we went to another mosque where we were the only people there. We got to climb a little tower and look out over the courtyard and the city below. It really was a sight to see. Before I knew it, we were back onto the buses adn driving towards Mt. Sinai. I tryed writing in my journal on the bus ride, but the only sentence I could write before getting frustrated was "If this bus wasn't taking to me to exciting places, I would burn it to the ground." One loooooooong bus ride later, and we were at a dirty little hotel just below Mt. Sinai. We knew that we would be getting up to hike up the mountain at 2 am, but there was just too much fun going on to go to bed. There was a little bedouin tent on the hotel grounds selling all sorts of fun trinkets and playing music. A bunch of us went down there and hung out with the bedouins. They had pillows to sit on and drums to play on, so we had fun playing around. My roommate and I finally went to bed around 10 to try and get a few hours of sleep before the big hike in the morning.

No comments: