Saturday, October 11, 2008

My week late conference

I don't know if anyone else has ever felt like certain talks were written especially for them, but I felt that with almost every talk we watched today. I have felt that a select few lines in talks were meant for me to hear, or a certain lesson in Sunday school was a subject I was supposed to hear, but I have never felt a whole session of conference was prepared just for me until today. I know I am hearing it a week late, but it is amazing how much that week has helped me figure out for myself what I was wanting to gain from conference. Before I came to Jerusalem Dad gave me a blessing and in it I was blessed that I would know what I direction I should go would be made clear to me while I was here. I didn't think I was wondering what I should do so I was a little confused by why I was told that. When I came here I began to worry that maybe I had made a wrong choice somewhere in life and I was way far off from the path I am supposed to be on. Not that I was worried about being wayward, or that I have been jumping off the deep end or anything, but with the economy tanking and the end of college coming, I was beginning to wonder if my dreams might be taking me in the wrong direction where I came home to Mom and Dads basement everynight. As conference rolled around, I got excited to hear Elder Worthlin talk because he is my favorite and he just has such a simple yet powerful way with words. When he was the first speaker today I was so excited and knew it was going to be a good session. I think I may have pulled something completely different out of conference than everyone else, but I can say without a doubt that I am not pointed in the wrong direction. My 5 year...heck, even my 1 year plan is still hazey, but I know it is going to clear up as I go. As I am looking back on my notes right now, I can see that the subject of the talks really didn't have anything to do with what I learned, but that is the great thing about personal revelation! It comes when you need it, if you are prepared. You are probably wondering what it was that I learned... I am quitting school and becoming a dancer! Just kidding. Quite the opposite. Working with kids is where I need to be. Not a mission. Not passing drinks out on an airplane somewhere. I am meant to work with children and their families. I really might be on the borderline of over obssesive about it. I was talking to a girl here just the other day about it. She is an elementary ed. major so I was excited to talk education with her. She stopped me and said, "I am only majoring in el. ed. becasue it is a good degree to have. I hate working with kids. I don't want anything to do with teaching. But it is always a good fall back plan." I wanted to whop her in the head! I would never send any child to her classroom! I wanted to tell her she was a disgrace and and that she had better rethink life real quick. I held my tongue and decided maybe I could point out some other career options that would be better and would keep her far away from children. I don't think it worked, but I have 3 more months to convice her to do something else. Well, dinner is calling my name, but I just had to write down how blessed I am to constantly be reassured in the gospel. How does anyone get through life with out it?

1 comment:

lanceran said...

You are awesome!!!! It makes me happy to know there are people like you in this world!