Sunday, November 9, 2008

Life after Jordan

Life has been moving along much too fast since I got back from Jordan. It is hard to explain the change in feeling. I officially hit my halfway mark here and am now on the "back nine". It really sounds funny to hear me talk about this as if it is my experience alone. It is as if I am experiencing everything through 80 pairs of eyes. All of us students are proabably experiencing the closest thing to Zionism as we will ever see in this lifetime. Even though I am just barely over halfway done here, I can't help but feel the bitter sweet realization that the end is coming. I am trying hard to cherish every single minute I have left. It has actually been a bitter sweet experience trying to soak every moment in. My love for the people around me, the experiences I have each day, and the happiness I feel at every second of the day are making me grow more and more attached to this whole experience. Not a bad thing right? I just hope when I get home I will be able to function normally and not annoy everyone around me with stories that all start with "When I was in Jerusalem..." If I ask two people to come with me to the store, just play along. I won't be used to being without the company of at the very least, two other people. There are many things I can hardly wait for when I get home:


Chips and Salsa


swapping secrets with my sisters


Laughing at my brothers even if they aren't funny to anyone else


Little hands wrapped around my finger and little voices calling me Mooch


Getting ready in the morning without haveing to say "excuse me" or "can I sneak past you?"


Mom listening to what ever stupid story I have to tell


Convincing Dad to get icecream and french fries even if it is much to late to be eating




As much as I miss these things at home, there are so many things that I will long for here:


Cobblestone walkways


Hearing the prayer call while I am saying my own prayers


Children in uniforms yelling "Hello!" and giving me high fives


Buying a pomagranite for 60 cents


Talking to people from all over the world and instantly being friends simply because we both love where we are


Sticking out like a sore thumb and loving it


Never knowing what time or day it is


Having time to look for the beauty around me


Being surrounded by some of the most beautiful, confident, kind, and hilarious people on earth




Well, I better get back to enjoying every minute, they seem to be slipping away faster


3 comments:

Brittani said...

As much as we want you back, I wish you could stay there too (but only if I can come join you.) I will gladly go to the store with you, but it means you will be with five others not just two!

Chanel said...

Enjoy every moment. We will all be more than willing to listen to your stories when you come home, so accumulate as many as you an while you are there. And we will still love you even if you have turned into a bubbly, obnoxious happy mormon girl:)

Cindi said...

I miss your stories! MOM