Thursday, November 6, 2008

My last day in the Land I love

Obviously not an ancient Mosiac...there is a website at the top.


The Church by the River Jordan





I can honestly say I was sad to leave Jordan. It was so comfortable there, and I really would have loved to have been able to stay there longer. For the last day in Jordan, we were able to stop at the River Jordan to see where Christ was baptized. I love being able to go to some of the New Testament sites. With so much of our time being spent studying the Old Testament this first half, I always feel a little bit more refocused when we talk about locations that were imoptant during Christ's lifetime. Before visiting the River Jordan, we stopped at more Roman ruins and a museum that held artifacts gathered in the area. It was a pretty amazing little museum tucked away on a hill. Once again, seeing the Roman scultures and artifact tugged at my heart strings a little bit. The view from where the ruins were was pretty neat becasue you could look out over the city and realize, Wow! I really am half way across the world and in a completely different culture than I was raised...and I love it! After the ruins and museum it was off the the River Jordan. Because of the "heavy" rains we had seen the day before, the river Jordan was pretty muddy. The river has actually shifted quite a bit from where it was located when Christ was baptized. The location that is traditionally said to be THE spot where he and John the Baptist carried out the baptism is not a hole in the ground surrounded by ancient churches that now look like pavilions. Down stream is a church build to glorify the location. There is a small dock just down from the church where you can walk out and touch the water. This might sound funny, but traveling as much as I have, I have gained an appreciation for the Catholic Church. I loved the little church that was near the river. The painings on the cielings and walls were beautiful. Can you imagine what the art world would be like without the Catholic Church? Let's just not even try. Anyway, it was a neat experoence, and I am SO looking forward to starting the New Testament this week and having the rest of my time here filled with learning about the Savior. I love life!

1 comment:

Chanel said...

I agree about the Catholic church. I don't know if you felt like this, but while we were in Rome I had the most enlightening experience. I have always known about the corruption in the Catholic church through out the centuries, and of course a lot of what we saw and did reminds you of it. But more than anything I had an overwhelming felling of love, compassion and a sense of awe for the early member of the Catholic church. I was amazed at the feelings that stirred inside my soul as I contemplated all the brave people that were willing to die a Christian as we walked in the catacombs. I was moved to tears as I looked at some of the art that decorated the churches and buildings, and realized how inspired some of the artists must have been. I imagine these people as pioneers that did the best they could in a world where the fullness of the gospel did not exist. People willing to die for truths, even if they were only half truths. I am humbled to think that I must live with as much courage and believe with as much faith as they did. I believe that the heavens will be full of many early Christians.