Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Plot Thickens

To be completely honest, I never really expected to fully understand the conflict over here. I hardly understood why the Israelis and Palestinians were having conflict before I came. I have been lucky enough to learn one hundred fold more ethan I knew before coming here, and yet it is still only scratching the surface. I have also been fortunate to attend a university where I have both a Jewish and a Palestinian professor. They are both highly educated men and have been able to explain the conflict from as nuetral a standpoint as someone who is deeply rooted in the conflict could. We have had forum after forum from a number of government officials who have concentrated on the Israeli Palestinian conflict as well. We have been asked to write our own ideas on achieving peace for assignments in class. I have been able to mingle with both the Jews and the Palestinians. I can honestly say I love both people. It seems to be which lecture I have had that day and which part of the city that I am in that pushes my opinions one way or another. I have flip flopped back and forth a million times. I don't know if there is a solution. Yesterday we visited Bethlehem University which is in the West Bank. We were able to ask many of the students questions and hear their personal stories and how they have been affected by the conflict. Many of the questions we asked clearly showed our own frustration with what we as Americans feel. we want to help. We sympothize with both sides. We can see how optimal it would be for the solution to come internally from those who are at war with one another. There is such great hope over here that Obama is going to not only bring great change to America, but the conflict over here as well. I can't say I share that same hope in Obama, but I could be wrong. It is so important for the people to become educated about the conflict and for there to be resourses for both side to turn to, but they rely so heavily on America to provide this. I wish there was a way for me to see a way to provide nuetral involvement, but if you try and advance the medical aid or education on one side it is seen as supporting that side politically. No action is done without it turning into an analysis of who's side you are supporting. It really is quite frustrating for everyone invovlved and even those of us just watching. I only know of one person who is a solution to all conflicts, healer of all wrongs, and is the ultimate uniter. Unfortunately, Christ and striving to have Christlike attributes are not topics of discussion when the building of a seperation wall and the creation of suicide bombs are resorted to as solutions.

No comments: