Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First Field Trip

I just really liked this door and wall in the synogague/mosque


Today was our first field trip. We drove around to different locations around Jerusalem to try and get a better uderstanding of the geography so it will help us understand the scriptures better. One 7 hour long geography field trip later and I still don't know which way in North. I was able to see some pretty amazing places though! We went to a church build by the Germans to house people coming on pilgramiges to the Holy Land. It is a gorgeous building with amazing artwork everywhere! I never imagined that the chapels here could compete with the ones I saw in Italy my senior year, but I think some of the ones here are better. We also stopped at a church that was later trasformed into a mosque, and now has a synogog in the basement. Probably one of the few, if not the only, places where both the Jewish and Islam faiths comes to worship. There were ancient ruins all around it. Ruins here are everywhere so they are no big deal to most people. A bunch of Orthodox Jewish school boys were at the church as well and they were running around the ruins playing. Which reminds me, I must look Jewish becasue twice already I have had Jewish people come up to me and speak in Hegrew and then act suprised when I say "Sorry I don't understand." I know, it's my big shnoz, but I don't think I look Israeli.
One of the funniest things to happen to me while being here, is I was somehow got put on as the Chair for the Linen and Mail exchange commitee. Mom knows how good I am at that! Today was out first linen exchange day and it was actually a lot of fun. I have fun commitee so we had a lot of fun seeing everyone come through. We decided to make a secret note box and we will hand them out on Shabbat. I hope I get one! I already wrote myself three, but maybe someone else withh write me one too! JK. Other than that it hasn't been too much of an eventful day. No shopping today Chels! Next adventure... my bus buddy Mitch and I are going to figure out how to kiss on the bus to Egypt without anyone noticing. Oh just kidding mom! But it would be fun...

1 comment:

Chels said...

I am disappionted in you. j/k Let me know how the kissing thing goes.