Sunday, September 14, 2008

Isaiah Scrolls


Today was a "free day" where we don't have classes. We usually have classes 6 days a week, but this week we got today off. Because there were no classes, the center organized a trip for those of us who wanted to go, to see the Isaiah scrolls at the Israeli museum. For any of you who don't know what those are, they are the oldest biblical records as well as the largest scrolls found not too far from here. They are part of the dead sea scrolls. The Isaiah scrolls have not been seen for forty years because they want to preserve them, but they brought them out for a short period in the museum and they will be returning to hiding in two days. One of my professors (Andrew Skinner) is one of only a few historians to have direct contact and has worked with these scrolls. Is it possible for one person to experience so many great things all in such a short time? At the museum there is also a scale model of Jerusalem before the temple was destroyed. It was neat to see what the city I have been walking around in for the past week and a half used to look like and where it got it's original shape.

After the museum, a big group of us was dropped off in Ben Yahuda street to go explore the western side of the city. Some friends and I ended up back in the old city but in a different section than I have ever been. It was the most empty I have seen the streets becasue it is Sunday. My favorite part of walking around town is when we come across a residential area and the children are running around everywhere. They are all so cute! The curls that the Orthodox Jewish men wear are not flattering, but the little bos working on growing them aure are cute. We found a set of stairs leading to the roof tops of the old city. It was like a completely different world. There city has such diversity and just going up one level reveals a whole different world. Somehow a boy with a donkey was riding around up there. On our walk home, we came across a chapel on the Via Dolorosa. It was the Sanctuary of the Flagellation. When we walked by and I read the sign I could not stop laughing! Wow! I know they build a church over just about any sight that is important, but who was important enough to fart and get a chapel build for that! At first I think my friends were trying to be mature about the church name but when I couldn't stop giggling I think they found the humor in it. It is really supposed to be the place Christ was crowned with a crown of thorns and got the cross, but my religion teacher told us that it probably isn't. I know, I need to grow up, but I think they could have named it a little better.

2 comments:

Chanel said...

That is so funny. I would have died of laughter, too!

Chels said...

I have to admit I am laughing too. Who new they built a place for Perry there?