Thursday, September 11, 2008

These boots were made for walking


Recognize this building?



The girls who went on the the wall tour. We made the boys take the pictures


I have never walked so much in my life! I went to the old city with a group and we walked about half of the wall around the city. It was cool to see the city from a different view. I had my first nervous moment since being here. We were walking along the wall and at the bottom of some steps there was a man leaning over the wall talking to people below. As I got closer, I noticed he had a gun and was yelling into a walkie talkie. I thought to myself, "Great, I am going to witness my first murder, and then they are going to send us home." After we all passed him, he ran down a set of stairs and into a house. Wierd! Nobody died, so we kept on with our tour of the wall. After walking around on the wall for a few hours, we went back to the center and I met up with a couple of other girls and we headed back to town. This time we went to the west side so I could help a girl find a pair of sandals. It is about a 30 minute walk to the western side of the city, and when I say it is an uphill walk both ways, I am not kidding. I don't know how this city makes that happen, but I swear it is uphill no matter where you walk. I have my first farmers tan, and I am quite proud of it.
This Sunday was are going on a field trip to the Israeli Museum to see the Dead Sea Scrolls. One of my professors just so happens to be one of the few scholars who has handled and traslated them. He gave a forum tonight on them. it was interesting to see how even the Dead Sea Scrolls testify of the truthfulness of the gospel. They don't day anything about Joseph Smith or anything, but there are things that the Dead Sea Scrolls revealed about translating and history that Joseph Smith could not have known. After his lecture I ran to the concert hall and watched some of Israels most famous Guitar players perform. It was a father and his two sons. I never knew someone could move their fingers so fast! It was amazing! Tomorrow We are going to the western wall, also known as the wailing wall, for a field trip. I can hardly wait! Tomorrow at sunset it is the beginning of Shabbat so it is an awesome time to go. It is a dream come true for me so I can hardly wait.

Synopsis of my day: Walk along the walls built before America was born, listen to a lecture by a world famous historian on a project he personally took part in, and then mosey on up to a free concert featuring world class musicians. What is a girl to do with herself!

No comments: