Monday, September 8, 2008

They're not Gay after all















Pictures: 1. My roommate Lauren and me with one of the not gay guys. He overheard me tell Lauren I thought he had a nice toosh. Now he doesn't talk to me

2. just outside The Church of the Holy Seplecher. This would have been a way cool picture had I noticed the guy walking through it and waited til he left

3. A dome just about the Shrine build over the tomb most Christian faiths believe Christ was buried

Just when I don't think I can love this place anymore, I do. Today I had Old Testament and Hebrew and then it was off to the city for another day of fun. But before I jump into that, let me explain the title of the blog. There are 25 boys and 55 girl here. Of the 25 guys, two are engaged and one is here with his girlfriend. That leaves only 22 boys to got out into the city with for 55 girls. (It is safer if you take a guy with you and you have to have a guy for some parts of the city) There is a group of guys that when I first met them I thought, "These guys seem like a lot of fun. I bet we end up hanging out a lot" Then, as each day came, I noticed a little trend. These boys sit together at each meal, class, and meeting. They walked everywhere together. And there were never girls with them. They probably handed toilet paper to each other under the stall. It was kind of making me mad that here are all these fun girls to hang out with, and these boys decide to ignore them and spend every waking moment with boys.
Today as I was looking for people to go into the city with, I invited myself to go with them and brought a couple of girls along. We ended up having a blast! They had the route all mapped out, books telling about the sites we went to, and plenty of jokes to keep us all laughing. I have come to the conclusion, they are probably not gay. We went to the Church of the Holy Seplecher first. I took some cool pictures but I won't be able to post them for a while because we aren't supposed to upload images, but I just do it anyway. Then we went to a cafe and go falafels (spelling?) On our way out of the old city, we tried some pastries and then split up because some of the kids had to get back to school for Arabic class.
Those of us who stayed went and found the olive wood shops to see what kind of things we could get. The famous Omar wasn't in his shop when we went by, so we went to try and find Jimmy who owns another wood shop that all the BYU kids love. Jimmy found us. It is so fun to have the people run out of their shops, or in Jimmy's case, hop out of a moving car, when they see us to make sure we are headed to their store. He took us in and showed us all of his beautiful nativity sets. He loves the business we bring him, so he gives us killer deals. A medium nativity is about 45 dollars for the BYU students. I found an opal ring I loved and asked him how much it was as we were leaving the shop. He stuck it on my finger and said, "You just pay me next time you come in." I of course refused and payed him 50 sheckles (a little less than 15 dollars) for a beautiful opal ring. He gave us oil lamps as a gift on our way out, and business cards to give to the other students. I love the people here! After that we went over to Hebrew University to see what it was like. I have to say I like "The Mormon" University better.

2 comments:

Rebecca Robison said...

OH MY HECK! OKAY, SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL SEND YOU THE MONEY! I'd die for one ring and one nativity set. That's all I'll ask for. Just let me know how much and I'll get it to you!!!

P.S.
I'm so proud of you changin up those boys' style. They need a girl like you!

Chanel said...

We can photo shop him out! (the guy in the picture by the crosses) You better publish this into a book for your journal when you get back.