Monday, September 29, 2008

The day of the Pyramids







It is hard to see, but it says Hi Family!


September 23rd. The day of the Pyramids. I don't believe there is any better way to start out a day than going to the pyramids. The first pyramid we visited was the Great Pyramid. It is huge! How did these people build these things!? I am continually amazed with how innovative and unique the Ancient Egyptians were. There was a smile plastered on everyone's faces the whole day. I have always imagined myself going to these far off locations around the world, but when I actually get here, it is hard to get myself to believe I am really there. Egypt! The Pyramids! How many books did I read about this when I was a kid? I don't believe there is anything as fun as fullfilling a childhood fantasy. After snapping pictures in front of the great pyramid, we drove over to the second pyramid. We were able to actually go inside of this pyramid. In order to get into the pyramid, you have to duck down and walk up a small shaft with not ventilation. I usually don't get closterphobic, but I was fighting the feeling of panic as I took deep breaths trying not to inhale the sweat from all the other tourists climbing in and out of the small shaft leading to a opening within the pyramid. Inside the opening, was an empty tomb. There were no decorations or signs that a great Pharaoh had once been layed to rest here. Grave robbers had erased any trace of that long before. Just a few minutes inside the small room within the pyramid was good enought for me and I crouched my way back out. As my friends and I came out of the pyramid, we hurried to a find a camel to take pictures on in front of the pyramids. The man selling his camel serivces told us it was only 5 dollars so we jumped at the chance. We rode the camels around for a while and had a photo shoot. We realized it was time for us to get back on the bus so we attempted to get off, pay, and then jet. I purposely only brought 5 dollars with me so there was no possible way for me to pay anymore. Two of my friends had a hard time getting away without feeling guilty, so the man sucked 25 dollars out of them. I handed my five over, said thanks, and then took off. After running as fast as we could back to the bus, we drove over to the Sphinx to fulfill yet another life dream. I should have tryed a little harder to look good that day considering all the Kodak moments of the day, but when you can't drink the water, you have to lug a weeks work of clothes around in a small bag, and the heat melts every ounce of makeup within seconds, it is near impossible. After the Shpinx and the pyramids, we drive to the museum that has the staue of Ramses II. It is massive and all cut from one stone. Then it was over to the step pyramids. These were the first pyramids to be built, and although they don't look like the pyramids we usually think of, they were the steping stones to the Great Pyramids. We then were able to go to a tomb and look and touch (which I later found out we weren't supposed to do) all the of ancient egyptian hyrogliphics. Much of the paint that was originally on them was still there. It was absolutley amazing to be so up close and personal with the ancient writings I stared at in the pages of books as a child. By this time it was later afternoon and we were all starving. We loaded up and made our way to one of the most authentic resturants I have ever eaten in. The walls were sheets stretched across poles surrounding the rows of tables and chairs. The pitas were hand made by a woman covered in soot across from out dining. The food was delicious and the company great! The bathrooms were a different story. As you walk in, there is a girl with small squares of paper towels. You tip her and she hands you one. While still braving the small stalls, I heard my roommate and the girl distributing paper towels giggling as my roommate shreaked and jumped out of the way as the sink shot water out at her. My favorite moments in forgein countries are moments like these when people connect regardless of language, religious, or cultural differences. We all sat in there and giggled for a minute before saying goodbye. After our late lunch, we battled traffic to the Cairo airport where we boarded a small plane that took us further south to Luxor. Our hotel in Luxor was more than we could have hoped for. It was a five star hotel with each of us staying in rooms that were located in bungalows around the pool. Small shops lined the walkway from the front desk t the pool. The hotel was literally right on the Nile. The staff was more than accomodating for us and let us swim until all hours of the night even though the pool was supposed to close at 5 pm. As soon as we could, we all jumped into our swimsuits and hopped in the pool. I don't believe I have ever laughed as much as I did that night. All 80 of us students reverted back to 8 years old. We were playing games and laughing about absolutely nothing. We all attempted to be quiet, but it is just to hard when you are having so much fun. Our teachers came out and sat by the pool and laughed right along with us. There were people trying to build human towers, synchronized swimming, and games of pure imagination going on. I laughed so much I had to take two advil to relieve the headache I got from smiling so big.

2 comments:

Chels said...

Sounds like your having a great time. I can't wait to hear more.

Chanel said...

This is so Awsome Mikael. I am SOOOOOOOOOO Happy for you!