Saturday, September 6, 2008

My First Shabbat

Today was my first Shabbat (sabbath) in Jerusalem. Even though it is Saturday, it still felt like Sunday. I kept having to try and convince myself I am really here all throughout sacrament meeting. It is hard to pay attention to the people talking when the large windows behind them overlook the beautiful city. As I took the sacrament, I couldn't help but smile becasue as I was trying to think of all the Saviour has done for me, and the covenants I was renewing. I realized I was just a short walk away from where those sacred events happened that allowed me to make baptism covenants. I loved the testimony meeting. It was just like every testimony meeting should be. Everyone testified of Christ, and each testimony was simple and short, yet powerful. The Gospel is so simple. I think that is what I love about it. There doesn't need to be frills. I think Elder Worthlin is a great example of that, I love his talks because he knows how to say things so simply, yet you can feel the power of what he is saying.
After church, a group of us desided we were going to find the Garden of Gethsemane. It was our first real opportunity to break out of the University and go explore on our own. We walked up the hill and came across an lookout point with a beautiful view of the city. And waiting at the top was a camel! Of course, it is also the one time I forget my camera! A little boy came up to me and handed me a bunch of olive tree leaves and then walked off. I just kind of laughed and didn't think much of it. Then he came back to me and said "I love you. Give me money" I laughed, told him I loved him too, and then handed him back the leaves. He shoved them right back and said, "I love you. No mom. No dad. Give me money" I tryed ignoring him, but like most other boys who have something on their mind, he didn't notice.
Our group eventually made it's way down the hill and into a garden where Jesus supposedly sat and looked over Jerusalem and cried while saying "O, Jerusalem. O, Jerusalem." We were supposed to pay to get in, but the man who watched over the garden let us in for free becasue we were dressed modestly. At least that what all the other kids thought. It was really because he heard I was coming. Oh just kidding. After spending a few moments here, and discovering that I was already soaked from head to toe in sweat (YUCK!) we made our way down to the Garden of Gethsemane. At first I was having a hard time getting into the mood (that sounds awkward) and really feeling the spirit of how sacred this place should be. The grounds are well kept and there is a beautiful Catholic Chapel on the grounds, but I could hear the traffic just outside the wall, and was being distracted by all the German tourists walking by in their matching yellow hats. Then as I stared at the twisted trunks of the olive trees, I realized it didn't matter if I didn't have an life changing feeling while I was in the garden, I have already felt the Atonement is real. It has been when I have needed it to get me through a rough trial or bring cleansing from a sin that the Atonement felt the most real to me. I don't have to be in the Garden to know it is real. I did feel blessed and in awe that I was standing in the same place that the Savior performed that act for me, but it is when I put it into use that I truely feel it's power.
Finally it was time to head back to the Jerusalem center and get some grub! I was also regretting trying to look cute and where my cute brown leather flats that matched my outfit perfectly. Forget it! These blisters are not worth it! I got back to the center, ate more food than I thought was humanly possible, anad drank my own body weigh in lemonade. Oh, and don't tell anyone, I also snuck two desserts.

3 comments:

Annie. said...

Mikael, this made me cry. That's not saying much, because I am a boob, but your experiences sound so amazing to me. I wish I could be there!

1mamadeb said...

Mikael,you are amazing. Thank you for describing this in such great detail. I felt like we were really there, in Sacrament meeting in Jerusalem with you!!
Love, Debbi King

Rebecca Robison said...

Loved your inspiration. Dang girl you make me laugh and get chills all at the same time!